Petah Tikva Anshe Castilla Congregation
“The gates of hope for the people of Castille”
Founded: Toronto, February 1958
ONTARIO’S FIRST SEPHARDIC SYNAGOGUE
In September 1958, 10 families in search of a place of worship where they could practice their distinctive Sephardic liturgy and speak their native language, Spanish, gathered at their new home in Toronto’s inner city. The congregation was comprised of 15 adults from 10 families, who were otherwise struggling with harsh winters and financial trials. The establishment of this unique place of worship provided refuge from the hostility still directed towards Jews in Toronto. Exacerbating the hardship was the predominant Ashkenazi community who had yet to come to grips with the diversity within the world of Judaism.
The origin of this new congregation had its roots in the Spanish Inquisition. At the end of the 15th century, the Jews fled the persecution of the Royal Inquisitors seeking refuge across the Straits of Gibraltar on the North African shores. Many settled in Tangier and its environs, others, elsewhere along the North African coast, where they remained and thrived for over 500 years. Independence for the kingdom of Morocco in 1956 and the subsequent annexation of Tangier — until then, an international port city — forced a civilization and culture which flourished for five centuries to move once again, this time seeking hope in Canada. Aptly named The Gates of Hope for the People of Castille in Hebrew, Petah Tikva Anshe Castilla Congregation was born – the first Sephardic Synagogue in Canada’s largest province, and today one of the largest in Canada.
[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vc_media_grid element_width=”2″ grid_id=”vc_gid:1519676955135-33b30d41-a5b6-3″ include=”254,213,220,243,321,307″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_empty_space height=”40px”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column]
How Ontario’s First Sephardic Synagogue came to be
- With no building to call our own, Shabbat Minha services were held at Shomerei Shabbat Synagogue on Brunswick Avenue
- The Torah Vaabodah Synagogue on Markham Avenue provided two rooms, a Sefer Torah and a few chairs for Passover services
- Petah Tikva’s first Yom Kippur services was held at the Bloor Street YM/YWCA
The Jewish Congress assisted in securing two rooms in Talmud Torah, Eitz Haim Synagogue on D’Arcy Street. The few dollars Petah Tikva had was spent on repairs and purchasing a new Aaron Hakodesh.
The number of members increased to 85. Petah Tikva purchased their first Sefer Torah and received two more as gifts. This year saw the birth of the Sisterhood Committee that, together with a newly formed Building Fund Committee, started to raise funds to buy the new premises.
With a membership of 125 families, who each contributed $100, Petah Tikva negotiated the purchase of Shomerei Shabbat Synagogue.
Membership continued to grow steadily. With over 300 members, Petah Tikva had to sell the Brunswick Avenue location and move back to the Bloor JCC for two years. This was followed by a move to the National Council of Jewish Women. During this time fundraising continued towards the fulfillment of our goal of building a new synagogue in the northern part of the city, where many of our members were living.
After an exhaustive search, many negotiations and our members’ financial support, Petah Tikva was able to build the current building on Danby Avenue. Many members worked tirelessly and selflessly toward the fulfillment of this dream – our own synagogue!
Ontario’s first Sephardic day camp was born! Sephardic Youth Day Camp was the home of many happy campers every summer.
Established Petah Tikva Youth Organization in which many youths would gather weekly for social interaction and activities.
The Main Banquet Hall was expanded to what it is today. The Banquet Hall is a beautiful space which can accommodate just under 300 guests for a seated dinner with dance floor.
Our esteemed Rabbi Yoseph Oziel moves from Montreal to Toronto and joins Petah Tikva as our Rabbi.
The first Rosh Hashana Directory was successfully created to the delight of all the members.
The Main Banquet Hall underwent a beautiful renovation.
The production of the annual Rosh Hashana Directory was expanded.
The Sanctuary was beautifully renovated.
Today Petah Tikva is the spiritual home and the heart of a well-established Sephardic community of more than 400 families. It has truly become the Gates of Hope for our members.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]